Hawarden

Submit a new image

Reference WMO187951

Address:

Gladstone Way

jct The Highway

Hawarden

Wales

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Obelisk
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
About the memorial: Situated where the village pump once stood, at the junction of The Highway and Gladstone Way. Designed by Gilbert G Scott A.R.A. and made by J Thompson & Sons of Peterborough. Unveiled on Sunday 14th November 1920 by Henry Neville Gladstone, Lord Lieutenant of Flintshire and dedicated by the Rector, Charles F Lyttelton. There is a 30ft high obelisk of Northumberland gritstone, consisting of a carved crucifix set into a recess at the top. In the wall are ten tablets of Woolton Stone, five each side of the central obelisk. The steps are of Northumberland gritstone.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

There are two inscriptions as follows: TO THE PRAISE OF GOD AND THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THE PARISH OF HAWARDEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE CAUSE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS AND FREEDOM A.D. 1914-1919 THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN ERECTED BY SUBSCRIBERS IN THE PARISH OF HAWARDEN AND COMMITTED BY THEM TO THE CUSTODY OF THE PARISH COUNCIL, TO BE PRESERVED INVIOLATE IN PERPETUAL REMEMBRANCE OF THE DEAD WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED THEREON

Hawarden Community Council

mail@hawardencommunitycouncil.gov.uk

01244 533692

http://www.hawardencommunitycouncil.gov.uk/Hawarden-CC/Default.aspx

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required