Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Metal Metal (any)
- Stone Stone (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
St Paul's Church closed in 1979 and reopened as a Radio Station in1981, the memorial was in the Grounds but was moved to a more secluded area following vandalism. It is a six sided column rising to circular peak. On each side there is space for six metal plaques containing names and inscription. These were removed at some stage to prevent damage or theft, there current whereabouts are unknown.The information provided is taken from research carried out Joe Hodgson, this is available at the Lancashire Archive Office, Preston. Reference DDX/acc/11135 box 6.
The Memorial is listed on the IWM memorial site (13203), but has little detail and suggests 125 names listed, this not supported by Mr Hodgson, who lists 97 names.
The names listed are taken from a hand written copy of the Roll of Honour removed from St Paul's and is now at St. Jude's with St.Paul's, St Georges Road Preston ( dated 10.1 1982) . Signed by the then church warden. sadly St. Jude's has since been demolished, the whereabouts of the Roll of Honour is not known.
Edit memorial details