Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Wheel cross with square base set on square plinth, with dedication, standing on 3 stepped base in a gravelled area edged by a low chain fence..
War Memorial, 1920 by Messrs Hart, Son, Peard and Co. Ltd. Stone. Celtic cross; cross head decorated with Celtic interlace carving. Tall tapering shaft mounted on rectangular plinth 3-stepped base below. HISTORY: The memorial was designed and sculpted by Hart, Son, Peard & Co. of London and Birmingham, better known as artistic metalworkers specialising in ecclesiastical manufacturer and most widely associated with the Arts and Crafts movement. It was unveiled on 30th May 1920 by Brig. Gen. W.H. Allgood, C.M.G., D.S.O. It was dedicated by the Rector of Simonburn. Seventy nine men from the area served, 10 died and 12 were wounded. Source: North East War Memorials Project Ref 34237
Edit memorial details