The Calton Hill Cannon

Submit a new image

Reference WMO220937

Address:

Calton Hill

Edinburgh

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Trophy/Relic
Materials:
  • Metal Brass
  • Timber Timber (any)
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • Burma (19C)
About the memorial: This brass cannon was cast in the early 15th century, with the Royal Arms of Spain on its barrel. It was transported to the Portuguese colonies in south-east Asia before 1785. The cannon came into the possession of the King of Arakan, ruler of a state on the west coast of Burma. It was subsequently captured by the British during their invasion of Burma in 1885. The cannon was presented to the City of Edinburgh and placed on Calton Hill in 1887. Behind is the Ducald Stewart memorial.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required