St Mark's Church War Memorial, Malew

Submit a new image

Reference WMO222999

Address:

Church of St Mark

A26

jct B30

St Mark's

Isle of Man

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Materials:
  • Stone Marble
  • Stone Sandstone
Lettering: Leaded
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The title of this memorial has been amended to reflect that in the IOM National Inventory of War Memorials. The memorial consists of a marble tablet set upon a red sandstone backing which includes a carved inscription surmounted by a carved laurel wreath and crown. The letters on the marble tablet are inlet-leaded. There is a list of 6 names listed alphabetically, giving their place of residence. First World War. Unveiled 05 September 1920, in the presence of Lieutenant-Governor Fry, Mr John L. Goldie Taubman, H.K., and members of the Keys and Council. A dedication was made by Rev. S.B. Botwood, vicar of Malew. (IOM Examiner, 11 Sep 1920, p. 3). Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee. Isle of Man National Inventory of War Memorials: IOM_NIWM_MAL_00002
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details
Report this condition update
View more details
Report this condition update
View more details

'To / the glory of God / and in grateful memory / of the gallant men who enlisted / from St Marks. / And in sacred memory of the / following, who gave their lives / in the defence of their / King and Country. / in the Great War, / 1914-1918. ' Above the marble plaque, carved into the sandstone - 'For King and Country'

See photographs

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required