Clachnaharry Battle Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO230633

Address:

Swanston Avenue

overlooking A862

Clachnaharry Village

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: Unknown
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Pillar/column
Materials:
  • Stone Stone (any)
Conflicts:
  • 15th Century Wars
About the memorial: Remains of 3-stage pillar monument. Large droved ashlar blocks on flat-coped circular rubble base. Base surmounted by 6 pyramidally-coped square-section pillars alternating with inset, unusual axe-head railings enclosing rectangular-plan plinth inscribed 'CLANCHATTAN' (to S) and 'MUNRO' (to N), also eroded Latin inscription, thought to read 'Between these high, red rocks their bones are collected'. The Inverness Journal of 29th June 1821 (quoted in the 1990 Inverness Courier) describes the monument as surmounted by four foot high leaden statue of Fame and gilt – other sources refer to the statue / figure as that of Mercury. This monument was built by Major Hugh Robert Duff of Muirtown House to commemorate a battle between the Munros and MacKintoshes, thought to have taken place in 1454. Tradition says that the Munros of Easter Ross were returning home (through MacKintosh territory) after a cattle- raiding expedition in Angus but refused to pay the customary tax on their plunder. As a result they were ambushed at Clachnaharry and in the ensuing battle the MacKintosh chief was killed. The monument was damaged during a storm in 1951, and the base and fence restored in 2000.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Between these high, red rocks their bones are collected.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

C(S) (Scotland)

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required