Inside a building - public/private
Roll of Honour or Book of Remembrance
- Glass Glass
- Paper Paper
- Timber Timber (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The roll of honour was originally located on a wall adjacent to the entrance to Castle Rushen. It was erected in December 1916 when the war was still ongoing. At a later date it was moved to the Royal British Legion Hall, Janet's Corner, Castletown, where it is currently on display. It contains one column for Navy servicemen and six columns for the Army. There are a further six columns listed at the base of the roll, with the words 'Supreme Sacrifice'. Not all names are listed alphabetically, as some names were added at a later date. At the time of unveiling it contained the names of 316 men who were serving and 18 of those who had fallen.
Designed by Mr J.E. Teare, architect, Athol Street, Douglas, who also penned the decoration and the list of names. The wooden frame was constructed by Messrs James Cooper and Sons, Castletown.
Isle of Man National Inventory of War Memorials: IOM_NIWM_CAS_000016
Edit memorial details