Earl of Feversham, Illuminated account of Battlefield Memorial Cross

Submit a new image

Reference WMO253990

Address:

St Mary's Church,

Rievaulx Bank,

Rievaulx

Helmsley

YO62 5LB

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Framed
Materials:
  • Glass Glass
  • Paper Paper
  • Timber Timber (any)
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The memorial is a framed illuminated manuscript on the south wall of the nave. It is a fuller description of the Battlefield Cross erected in the churchyard outside. Under the coloured arms of the Earl of Feversham is the inscription. At the foot of the inscription is a small painting of the shrine outside the church with a date of 1916.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

The wooden memorial cross erected under the shelter in this churchyard formerly marked the grave of Charles William Reginald Duncombe, 2nd Earl of Feversham Colonel of Yeaoman Rifles 21st K.R.R. killed at Flers in France and buried at the spot where he fell on September 15th 1916 during the Battle of the Somme. Lord Feversham's body was removed from the plave where it was first buried to the Cemetery at Flers and the Cross that had been made of wood from a blitzed farmhouse nearby was brought to England and placed here by his wife and by his son Charles William Slingsby Duncombe, 3rd Earl of Feversham.

Charles William Reginald Duncombe

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required