Finchley United Services Club - War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO254704

Address:

Finchley United Services Club Ltd

St Kildas

307 Ballards Lane

North Finchley

N12 8LY

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Cenotaph
Materials:
  • Stone Granite
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The memorial is located in Ballards Lane, North Finchley, outside the United Services Club. Unveiled by Viscount Lascelles on the 13th November 1925 and was attended by Thousands of people. One thousand Men of Finchley, Husbands, Sons and Comrades made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War One in the hour of their Country’s need. After the ceremony dignitaries addressed a tightly packed gathering in the St Kilda Hall. Finchley sent over five thousand men to the Colours. They are gone but the people of Finchley have not forgotten. (By Public Subscription cost of Finchley Memorial £500). Finchley United Services Club the large Granite Cross at Finchley War Memorial is inside a maintained fenced enclosure, the gates have the words St Kildas on them named after the Scottish Island. The Bronze sculptured panel contains a carved relief with the figures of three servicemen a Soldier in full trench kit, with steel helmet, cape and fixed bayonet flanked by the busts of a Sailor and a Airman. There is a inscription on the top which reads above the Soldier “Victory won by Sacrifice” and below the Soldier “At the Going down of the Sun and in the Morning we will Remember them.” There is a Flagpole behind the stone cross. The two floor standing plaques were transferred to the club site when Finchley Tramways Depot (later Finchley Bus Garage) closed. Please see the link below for more details on these two pieces. https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/212538/
Edit memorial details

No names are inscribed on the Main Memorial.Unveiled November 13th 1925 by Lord Lascelles. The Memorial remembers those Servicemen and Women up to the present day who have lost their lives in conflict and also there loved ones, family and friends who they left behind. A Service of Remembrance occurs every year on Remembrance Sunday at the Memorial with a two minutes silence and the Last Post sounds followed by a march past. Ballards Lane is closed so relatives and members of the community can pay their respects.

No names are inscribed on the Main Memorial.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required