On original site
Attached to a building/structure
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Located on the north wall.
Carved and incised plaque with an elongated gilded pommee cross of St Michael at top. Red painted Greek cross of St George below. Dimensions: 30.5 x 45 cm.
The erection of an oak plaque on the north wall of Braydeston Church was agreed at a meeting of the Parochial Church Council on 5th July 1951.
“…an oak memorial tablet to the men of Braydeston who fell in the War 1939-45, according to the plan produced a copy of which is intended to be deposited in the registry of our said Episcopal Consistorial Court of Norwich.” Faculty granted 15th November 1951. Dedicated 9th November 1951 by Archdeacon Perowne. Plaque made and carved by Mr Cecil E Howard of South Walsham.
(Ref: Norfolk Record Office PD454/10/4: ‘Parish of Braydeston Faculty to erect an oak War Memorial’.)
Geoffrey Broom was the son of Mr and Mrs Bernard Broom of Deepdale, Brundall and a member of the well-known local boat-building family. He died on 1st November 1943 aged 20 in hospital from his injuries when he fell over the quayside in Garlieston, Scotland. This is where top secret developments and sea trials took place of the structures and ideas which resulted in the floating Mulberry Harbours used off Normandy following the D-Day landings. Broom was brought home for burial in Braydeston churchyard and a rough hewn granite stone marks his grave there.
Frank Read was called up to the 6th Battalion of the Royal Norfolk Regiment and eventually was stationed in Singapore just before it fell to the Japanese. He died aged 32 a prisoner of war on 5th August 1943, a victim of torture and starvation. His parents were Herbert and Kate Read of Brundall.
He is also commemorated at the Kanchanburi War Cemetery, Thailand where victims of imprisonment while building of the Burma Railway are buried.
Edit memorial details