Brentford Monument

Submit a new image

Reference WMO255552

Address:

outside County Court

High Street

Brentford

TW8 0JJ

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On subsequent site(s)
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Pillar/column
Materials:
  • Stone Granite
Lettering: Unknown
Conflicts:
  • English Civil Wars (1642-1651)
  • Roman Occupation (55BC- c410AD)
  • 11th Century Wars
About the memorial: Originally part of a granite lamp post in the bridge over the canal in Brentford High Street. 1909, made into the Monument and erected in Ferry Lane by the Thames. Later moved to another site in Ferry Lane. 1992, moved to its present position outside Brentford County Court. At some point the Monument lost its base. Also, the upper and lower sections of the column became misaligned (compare early photos). The transcription refers to how it reads at present, but is not how it was intended.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

[side 1] [upper section] B.C.54 At this ancient fortified ford the British tribesmen vnder CASSIVELLAVNVS bravely opposed Jvlivs Caesar on his march to VERVLAMIVM [lower section] [blank] [side 2] [upper section] A.D.780-1 Near by OFFA KING OF MERCIA with his queen the bishops and principal officers held a COVNCIL of the CHVRCH [lower section, but originally aligned below Edmund Ironside & Cnvt panel] A.D.1909 to commemorate these historical events this stone was erected by THE BRENTFORD COVNCIL Evan Phillips.J.P.chairman Jno J. Dorey. vice-chairman W.Bradley. H. Newens. J.Clements. W. Noy. W.J.Comm. C.E.Savnders. C.Lamb. J.T.Taylor J.P.C.C. J.B.Milbvrn H. Walter M.D. T.Layton.F.S.A.CHn LIBy Com. J.W.Croxford.C.E. S.Woodbridge.clerk. [side 3] [upper section] A.D.1016 Here EDMVND IRONSIDE KING OF ENGLAND drove CNVT and his defeated Danes across the Thames [lower section] [blank] [side 4] [upper section] A.D.1642. Close by was fovght the BATTLE of BRENTFORD between the forces of KING CHARLES I and THE PARLIAMENT. [lower section, but originally aligned below Caesar panel] A.D.1909 The identity of the place has been recently established by the discovery of the remains of lines of oak palisades extending both along this bank and in the bed of the river and brovght to pvblic notice by MONTAGV SHARPE Esq D.L. chairman of qvarter sessions and covnty covncil of MIDDLESEX

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required