On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
At the Annual Dinner of the Exning Road Working Mens Club on January 21st 1949 hopes were expressed that a suitable Memorial to those residents of the Exning Road area of Newmarket might be erected within 12 months, so little seemingly being done regarding a Town War Memorial. The project started in February 1949, a piece of land, part of the gardeners cottage belonging to the White Lodge Hospital being given for the garden, thanks to the efforts of Capt King and the Hospital Management Committee. By this time the subscriptions towards the provision of a Memorial for the whole town had amassed the paltry sum of £600.
Designed by Mr F.B. Waterfall and his staff, there are no records at present to identify the builders.
The memorial was dedicated in St Philips Church on Sunday 16th April 1950, the plaque being unveiled later that afternoon.
This garden was taken by adverse possession when it fell into disrepair and the shelter was demolished. The plaque had been removed to the Working Mens Club for safe keeping, where it still remains, with a small stone tablet on the outside wall provided by the developer.
Edit memorial details