On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Rock/Rough Stone Rock/Rough Stone
- Stone Sandstone
Inscribed on a plaque
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
A cemetery at Stobs Camp was in use from 1915 to 1919 with a monument, raised platform with stone benches and graves with headstones. The bodies were transferred to the Cannock Chase German cemetery in 1962 and at that time the monument, erected in 1917, was demolished, though the base and scattered rubble were left in situ. Grid reference for the cemetery is NT 50510 09561
Stobs Camp Project (a local initiative funded by HLF, HES, Borders LEADER, Fallago Environment Fund and BCCF Environment fund) volunteers have reconstructed the monument using the scatter of stones around the remains of the base. As far as was possible the stones were reinserted in the exact positions they had occupied in 1917. A new plaque was engraved by the volunteers and placed in situ as before with the same wording. The monument was unveiled for Armistice in 2018.
The flight of steps leading up to the memorial platform were also reinstated by the volunteers.
Edit memorial details