On subsequent site(s)
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Cuddesdon’s medieval limestone cross, thought to date to the C13, stood originally in the village centre at a road junction until it was removed to the churchyard in 1857 and installed with a new base step including an inscription. Broken before 1804, a new cross head had been added at the time of the translation. That has since been removed and in 2015 the steps and cross shaft were moved onto the green, close to the original medieval location, restored, and re-dedicated as a war memorial.
The medieval stonework and two of the stones from the Victorian base were retained in the new setting, whilst a small number of decayed stones were replaced with pieces of Wheatley stone recovered from locations in the village. A new bronze plaque was added. The cross was re-dedicated on 8 November 2015 by the acting Bishop of Oxford. .
A bronze plaque fixed to the base records the names of men from the village, and some of the students at Cuddesdon College resident at the time they enlisted, who died on military service.
Edit memorial details