On original site
Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
During the First World War 1625 members and 1803 articled clerks served, as well as the Institute's then Librarian Cosmo Gordon. 129 members and clerks were decorated for their gallantry, which included two Victoria Crosses. However, 510 members and articled clerks were killed in action. The War Memorial in the main entrance hall of the Institute was unveiled in 1922. It was in the form of two large and ornate marble plaques designed by J J Joass inscribed with the names of those who gave their lives in the cause of freedom, and a brief ceremony of dedication was performed by the Dean of St Paul's, the Very Reverend W.R.Inge, C.V.O., D.D.'
Edit memorial details