On original site
Attached to a building/structure
- Glass Stained Glass
- Stone Stone (any)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
In 1949 the memorial chapel was built on the south side of the chancel to commemorate the fallen of Cannock of World War II by public subscription. The architect was James Swan of Birmingham and it was built by F & E V Linford of Cannock.
At the east end of the chapel is the British Legion window. The chapel and the window were given in memory of all the Cannock men who were killed during World War II. The window shows the coats of arms of the three branches of the armed forces. Beneath these are the famous words taken from Laurence Binyon's poem for the fallen written in 1914.
At the top of the window are the letters in lower case are 'ihs' (Ihsus, the Latin spelling of Jesus). These letters remind believers that in the midst of the horrors of war Jesus walks with us and that the love for others he inspired can be seen in the sacrifice of those who died. The full text can be found in the Stained Glass Windows booklet by David Gethin, February 2018.
Edit memorial details