On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The wheel-head cross with a short cross shaft stands on a pedestal. The stem of the pedestal, octagonal in section, supports a small tapering block, square on plan, from which rises the cross. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription on a plate attached to the front face of the central block
It was designed by the artist son of Mr Francis W Reckett (owner of the local estate). The memorial cross was one part of the scheme that also included erecting two identical brass plaques in the Parish Church and Wesleyan Church. The three memorials were dedicated during the same ceremony, led by Reverend Elgar Hicks. The cost of the whole scheme was met by public subscription. The memorial cross was unveiled on 7 April 1920 by Captain Reckitt, anephew of Mr Francis Reckett.
Edit memorial details