- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Tablet on the outside wall. The Cross with the arms of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and the See of Southwark. It was proposed that a scroll engrossed with the names of the fallen, from the homes around the Mission district, be placed in a sealed tube and deposoted under the roll of Honour on the South side of the chapel.
Google street view images reveal no sign of this tablet on the exterior of this building.
The IWM Register gives the address as Canterbury Road. There is no such road in the area but there is a Canterbury Industrial Estate, suggesting that an original Canterbury Road may have been obliterated during the war.
Corpus Christi College, Cambridge founded a Mission to Camberwell in 1887 which came to include this dedicated mission church of Christ Church parish (the actual build date has not been determined). It was not consecrated, and hence could be closed by order of the Bishop of Woolwich in 1962 (at which time it had been in the parish of Hatcham Park, All Saints) and sold. Still used (2004) by a Pentecostal fellowship as "Christ the King Chapel". The exterior is unaltered but it is not known whether the interior has been altered.
Edit memorial details