On original site
Inside a building - public/private
- Glass Stained Glass
- Stone Sandstone
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
four windows with dedication to Henry Noel Atkinson and others running across the foot. Dedicatory brass plaque explaining windows
From the website of the 1st Battalion, the Cheshire Regiment
After the War, as no grave could be found Lt. Atkinson's father had a tombstone laid where it was believed his son had fallen.
In 1923 the body was found and reinterred in Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery (Grave XIII. E. 12) because it was still accepting burials. The Cheshire Regiment had the redundant stone moved to Violaines Communal Cemetery, adding the inscription:-
"In February 1923 his body (identified by his disc) was found, together with that of an unknown soldier of the Cheshire Regiment, about 400 yards from where his stone was originally erected in a neighbouring field. Both were removed under direction of the Imperial War Graves Commission, to the Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez. Removal of the stone having therefore become necessary it has passed into the possession of the Cheshire Regiment and has been re-erected in this cemetery as a perpetual memorial to all others of the Regiment who are still among the missing".
In 1995 the Cheshire Regiment restored it and repainted the weathered inscription after some lobbying by the Lancs and Cheshire Branch of the Western Front Association
Also added to family gravestone in cemetery
Edit memorial details