Bisley War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO259443

Address:

Bisley Village Green

Church Lane/Guildford Road

Bisley

Surrey

GU24 9ED

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Wheel cross
Materials:
  • Rock/Rough Stone Rock/Rough Stone
Lettering: Raised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Built in 1921 by the London Necropolis Company, the memorial was unveiled on 25th September 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester at a ceremony attended by the Local Clergy and dignitaries. The wheel cross is of rough-hewn granite, set on a tapering plinth on a square stone base.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

The first inscription reads ' TO THE LASTING MEMORY OF THOSE OF BISLEY PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918' and is followed by 14 names and then 'GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS'. Below this is the following inscription 'AND OF THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945'. This is followed by 8 names and then the following inscription 'THAT HE LAID DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS'.

1939 - 1945 ROBERT BRADFORD FRED F. COLLINS EDWIN C. DABORN HORACE DABORN WILFRED W. HENBEST A. JACK HILLS FREDERICK HONE JOHN MASON T. HARREY NEWMAN LESLIE R. PETRIE RICHARD B. POLLARD GEORGE A. SMITH EDWIN SUTER GEORGE WHITEHORN 1939 - 1945 ALFRED E. COX MONTAGU B. HORLEY JOHN M. HORLEY THOMAS F. E. JOHNSON EDWARD PURDUE ALLEN E. SHACKLETON JOHN A. SHORTER CHARLES J. SMITH

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required