Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Christ Church War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Aidan, Warwick Road, Carlisle, Cumbria. It is prominently situated outside the front of the church along the main road. It comprises a wooden gabled calvary on an octagonal stone plinth and octagonal two-stepped base. The plinth and base bear the inscriptions in incised lettering.
Christ Church War Memorial was originally unveiled at Christ Church in Botchergate (demolished 1952), and represented 63 men of that parish who died in the First World War. Christ Church was closed and the war memorial relocated to St Aidan’s, along with parishioners. A faculty for it had been granted for its erection in the churchyard, in April 1921. The memorial was unveiled on 26 July 1921.
Edit memorial details