On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Other landscape feature
Inscribed on a plaque
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
From Wolverhampton City Council's website
Nine commemorative benches have been installed across Wolverhampton as the City marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. The steel benches, depicting poppies and silhouettes of soldiers on the battlefields, have been fitted in key locations in Wolverhampton, Bilston, Tettenhall and Wednesfield. Three benches are in Wolverhampton, two of them are outside St Peter's Collegiate Church – by the Cenotaph and war memorial gardens – the third is at the Interchange.
Benches have also been installed either side of the Oxford Street war memorial in Bilston, and at Upper and Lower Green in Tettenhall, with another two at the St Thomas Memorial Gardens and on High Street in Wednesfield. On each bench is a plaque which reads: "Placed here on behalf of the people of the City of Wolverhampton to commemorate 100 years since the end of World War One and to remember those who served 1918-2018."
The benches were commissioned by the City of Wolverhampton Council and produced by David Ogilvie Engineering.
It's incredibly important that we as a City remember the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives during the First World War to ensure our peace and freedom. We hope the benches will provide a place for people to spend time to reflect, remember and give thanks. Chair of the City of Wolverhampton Council's Remembrance Committee Councillor Linda Leach
Whilst not specifically commemorating war dead on the plaque, the avove remarks by Councillor Leach do memtion those who gave their lives
Edit memorial details