On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
The house was originally built at the turn of the last century for Lady Weigall. The name Petwood, derives from the fact that the site she chose was in the area of her favourite 'pet wood'.
Lady Weigall was the only child of the furniture stores magnate Sir Blundell Maple. She lived at Petwood with her husband Sir Archibald Weigall.
Petwood was requisitioned by the RAF during WWII. In the latter stages of the War it was used as the Officers Mess for the famous Dambusters, 617 Squadron, who were then based at nearby RAF Woodhall Spa.
In the extensive grounds can be found a dummy practice bouncing bomb, as was used in the Dambusters raid.
Inside the hotel, the Squadron Bar is dedicated to 617 Squadron and has memorabilia from the period.
Edit memorial details