LOUGHBOROUGH CARILLON

Submit a new image

Reference WMO109113

Address:

Loughborough Carillon Tower & War Memorial Museum

Queen's Park

off Granby Street

Loughborough

LE11 3BJ

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Other monument
Lettering: Raised
About the memorial: The Loughborough Carillon was built in 1923 by public subscription in memory of the 480 men who gave their lives in World War One. Many of these comrades fell in the fields of Flanders where the melodious sound of bells could often be heard, so it was decided that a carillon would be a fitting tribute. The 46 metre (151ft) high tower is a striking feature of the Queens Park in the heart of the town and is one of only 15 in the country and also is the first and only Grand Carillon. All the 47 bells were cast in Taylor’s bell foundry in Loughborough and fittingly the largest bell (4½tons) was donated by the Taylor family who lost three sons in the war. The bricks were made by Tuckers - another Loughborough firm and even the steel work was produced by Herbert Morris at their local Empress Road factory in the town. Inside the Carillon are three museum floors with items from each of the armed forces and the civilian population. The aim is to keep alive the memory of local comrades, and to allow future generations to respect those sacrifices.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details
Report this comment

Base wall of tower : THIS TOWER WAS ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF LOUGHBOROUGH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR FREEDOM IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918. // Plaque 1 : THIS MEMORIAL WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE MAYOR, / ALDERMAN AND BURGESSES OF THE BOROUGH OF / LOUGHBOROUGH, BY THOSE WHO SUBSCRIBED FOR / ITS COST, ON SUNDAY, JULY 22ND. 1923. <><><><> / AT ITS TRANSFER THE FOLLOWING CHARGE WAS / GIVEN:- <><><><> / " WE CHARGE YOU TO HAND ON THE DUTY AND / PRIVILEGE OF MAINTAINING AND PRESERVING / THIS GREAT MEMORIAL, SO THAT GENERATIONS / YET UNBORN MAY BE REMINDED OF THE SACRIFICE / WHICH THESE MEN MADE, AND OF THE GREAT / PRINCIPLES FOR WHICH THEY DIED." <><><><> / THIS CHARGE WAS ACCEPTED BY THE MAYOR IN / THE FOLLOWING WORDS:- <><><><> / " I ACCEPT ON BEHALF OF THE ALDERMEN AND / BURGESSES OF THIS BOROUGH THE GIFT OF THIS / MEMORIAL TOWER AND CARILLON. ITS CARE SHALL / EVER BE THEIR SOLEMN TRUST AND PRIVILEGE. " // Plaque 2 : THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED ON SUNDAY, / JULY 22ND, 1923, <><><><> / BY FIELD MARSHAL SIR WILLIAM ROBERTSON, / BART., G.C.B., G.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., DSO. <><><><> / AND WAS THEN DEDICATED BY THE RT. REV. / FRANK THEODORE WOODS, D.D., BISHOP OF / PETERBOROUGH, <><><><> / TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO WERE FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH, / WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED HEREON. <> / ON THAT DAY THE CARILLON OF 47 BELLS WAS / FIRST PLAYED BY <><><><> / THE CHEVALIER JEF. DENYN OF MALINES, / BELGIUM. <><><><> // Plaques 3, 4, 5 & 6 : (WW1 NAMES). // Plaque 7 : IN HONOURED MEMORY ALSO OF / THE MEN OF LOUGHBOROUGH / WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED / ON THESE TABLETS / AND WHO, FOLLOWING THEIR / ELDER BROTHERS COMMEMORATED / BY THIS TOWER, GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR / 1939-1945 / PRO PATRIA / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE // Plaques 8 & 9 : (WW2 NAMES) // Plaques 10, 11 & 12 : (Post 1945 NAMES)

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Grade II (England)

1074532

Queens Park Conservation Area

Information Required