On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Sculpture of three soldiers trapped by a serpent at their feet standing on a circular plinth containing regimental badges. WWI memorial. Designed and sculpted by Eric Henri Kennington RA (1888-1960). Portland stone. Consists of the figures of three infantry soldiers with helmets rifles and full kit, with a serpent at their feet, standing upon a three part columnar base. The figure to the left was modelled on the poet and writer Robert Graves. The base of the memorial has the inscription, XXIV Division France 1914-1918 around the top, with the twenty unit badges beneath. Situated in the registered grade II* Battersea Park.
History: The memorial commemorates over 10,000 men who had been killed or listed as `missing presumed dead' whilst serving with the 24th Infantry Division. The memorial was unveiled on 4 October 1924 in an opening ceremony performed by Field Marshall Plumer and the Bishop of Southwark.
Summary of Importance: The 24th East Surrey Division war memorial in Battersea Park is not only of historic interest due to its link with world events, but it is also of visual interest, due to the elegant sculptural quality of the depiction of ordinary infantry men by the highly regarded war artist Eric Kennington. This is an unusually avant-garde war memorial with a very interesting depiction of Robert Graves, author of the outstanding war memoir 'Goodbye to All That'.
c Historic England listing entry
Edit memorial details