War Memorials Trust active case: War Memorials Trust needs to avoid Contributors changing location/description details as we help to protect and conserve this war memorial through our casework.
You can still add photographs, update condition and use the tabs below.
If you believe any of the information you cannot edit is wrong, please contact us.
On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Within the open churchyard, to thr right (north) of the entrance track.A round, polished granite pillar, surmounted by an urn of the same material. The upper portion of the pillar is adorned with relief arches, each etched with a fler-de-lis design, which is repeated round the top of the pillar. The east-facing portion of the pillar bears the general commemoration and the names of 7 men who fell in WW1. Full names are given, listed in surname alphabetical order, without rank or unit.
The whole sits upon a square granite plinth upon a square concrete base.
An extract from the minutes from the Parish Meeting 1919, under the heading 'War Memorial for Market Weston' reads " well attended meeting was held in the school rooms to consider what would be most fitting and best as a memorial of those who had lost their lives in the Great War from 1914 to 1919 belonging to the above parish. After much discussion and consideration it was unanimously resolved to erect a granite monument in the Parish Church Yard."
The minutes go on to say that “Miss E Witton and Miss Durrant did good work in collecting door to door” and that a very successful concert was held in the school room. About £41 was subscribed by the Parishioners, and the rest by the concert and private subscription.” A committee was formed by the following: Mr Durrant, Mr Sunnis, Mr Taylor (Thomas), Mr Hatten (William Joseph), Mr Davey.
A Thetford stonemason, Mr Hall, was commissioned for the project. The total cost, including all the engraving was £62. 17s 6d. In addition two illuminated Rolls of Honour, inscribed with the names of all those who served in the war, were commissioned.
The minutes also state: The Memorial was erected on 31st October 1919, and was unveiled by Mr Champion on Sunday 2nd November before a large congregation, and a very impressive Service was held.”
After World War II the Rolls of Honour were updated to recognise those who gave service in that war also. Only one man from Market Weston' Arthur Driver, made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II, although for Some reason his name was not added to the memorial In the churchyard.
In 2001 the Parish Council felt that the Memorial was in considerable need of repair and refurbishment. Three stonemasons in the area were contacted for quotations. The successful tender was by Mr. R.W. Rackham, director of the Diss firm of H.L. Perfitt Ltd., and the sum required was £411.25, over six and a half times as much as the memorial originally cost!
The memorial was cleaned and re-lettered and the stone plinth was encased with polished granite to match the rest of the memorial, it was inscribed with the words 'Still remembered 2001'.
Listed Grade II, ist entry 1456888