Fordham War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO121223

Address:

Garden of Remembrance

Carter Street-Church Street

Fordham

CB7 5NF

England

Open large map

War Memorials Trust case: War Memorials Trust needs to avoid Contributors changing location/description details as we help to protect and conserve this war memorial through our casework. You can add photographs, update condition and use the tabs below. If you believe any of the information you cannot edit is wrong or information is missing, please contact us.

Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Pillar/column
Materials:
  • Other Other
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Situated in the middle of the village, off the B1102, where Carter Street meets Church Street, in the Memorial Garden. A tall, slender, circular stone column, about 15 feet high 4.6 m) surmounted by a resin figure of a knight holding his sword in his right hand, hilt uppermost, his left hand resting in a stylised shield. The pillar stands upon a two-layered stone plinth. The front face of the upper tier bears the words: Our Glorious Dead. Beneath this around all four faces of the lower tier are engraved 41 names of the dead of WW1, in alphabetical order, without rank or unit details, the last face containing three names out of order. Above two opposing faces are the dates 1914 and 1919 in Roman numerals. On the upper tier, on two opposing faces, are 15 names of the fallen from WW2, with the dates 1939 and 1945. The whole stands upon a square plinth upon a single tier pavement within a tarmac surfaced area. The land upon which the memorial stands was donated to the village by a local resident, Mrs Dunn-Gardner who lived at Fordham Abbey. It was appropriate that she should therefore be asked to unveil the memorial, which took place on 7th August 1921. The figure of a knight is of St George, designed by Sir E.Lutyens, was originally bronze, from the studio of Sir George Frampton. Another such figure is on the Hove, Sussex war memorial. The memorial was smashed in June 1991 and, with the column laying in pieces on the ground, thieves made off with the bronze St. George which, presumably, was melted down for scrap. A fibreglass copy was made by a local sculptor, Ronald Donaldson from Yaxley, near Peterborough, and the memorial was rebuilt at a cost of £4,750. It was rededicated by the Lord Bishop of Ely on 19 July 1992.
Report this condition update

View more details
Report this condition update

View more details
Report this comment

OUR GLORIOUS DEAD / MCMXIV MCMXIX additionally on a small stone flower holder on the base IN REMEMBRANCE / The fallen of / Fordham

(WW1) (south face): FRED ARNOLD / WALTER BAKER / HENRY BEETON / H. M. BOON / WILLIAM BOON / ARTHUR BROWN / A. A. BROWN / ERNEST DAVEY / HENRY DENNIS / GILBERT DOBSON (east face): OLIVER ELLWOOD / J. W. FLEET / P. W. GAMBLE / S. C. HARVEY / ERNEST HODGE / A. E. E. JOHNSON / J. A. JOHNSON / E. J. LOCKWOOD / A. V. MUNNS / E. C. MUNNS (north face): J. W. MUNNS / SAMUEL MUNNS / G. W. NICHOLLS / E. G. PARR / HARRY PARR / MONTAGUE PARR / T. K. PARR / WALTER PLUMB / WILLIAM PRYKE / BERT READER (west face): CHARLES RUST / CHARLES SMITH / LEWIS SNARE / C. T. TAYLOR / ARTHUR TURNER / CHARLES TURNER / WILLIAM TURNER / S. H. WEBB / THOMAS P. BAUSER (should be Bausor) / PERCY A. DENNIS / ARTHUR KING. (WW2) (west face): CHARLES COLLIN / A. H. COUNT / F. A. FLEET / L. ALBERT HATLEY, K. A. JOHNSON / L. B. KNIGHT / DONALD PALMER (east face): FRANK PERKINS, PERCY PERKINS / R. G. PLUMB / E. H. READER / E. M. TOWNSEND / L. A. TURNER / H. E. WEBB

Grade II (England)

1331743

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required