- Metal Metal (any)
- Stone Stone (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
This war memorial comprises a bronze figure of a British soldier surmounting a limestone plinth with a single step base. The plinth has elaborate carved panels to the top half, with flush stonework to the lower section. The plinth carries an incised inscription with lettering painted in red. The memorial is located at the junction of Station Road and Hill Road outside Cambridge Botanic Gardens.
The bronze figure was designed by the sculptor Robert Tait McKenzie with George Hubbard the architect. The memorial was unveiled by HRH The Duke of York KG in 1922 and dedicated in 1923. The figure is known to have been relocated twice once in the 1950’s and again in 2012.
It was removed for works and re-siting in 2012. It previously moved in the 1950s.
The figure looks towards the railway station.
The sculpture, R. Tait McKenzie, also designed The Call in Edinburgh
Edit memorial details