Attiwell Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO179455

Address:

Sleaford Cemetery

Eastgate

Sleaford

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Allegory (eg: Victory)
Materials:
  • Stone Marble
Lettering: Raised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: This memorial, unveiled in 1920, commemorates the men of Sleaford, Quarrington and Holdingham who gave their lives in WW1. It was commissioned and paid for by Charles Attiwell, a local tradesman, whose son William lost his life in France in 1917.Made of white Sicilian Marble, the whole structure was produced by Frederick Clarke, a monumental mason from Sleaford. It is likely that the angel was carved in Italy. The front panel includes a bas-relief of the Union flag, with laurel sprays springing up from a crusader's shield, symbolising freedom from oppression. The Angel of Peace carries a laurel wreath in her left hand to represent victory. Her right hand points toward heaven, symbolising the promise of the future whilst her outspread wings and downcast eyes express sorrow for the fallen. The quotation, 'Their name liveth for evermore' is from Eccl 44:14. For many years after 1920, this memorial was used as Sleaford's focus on Armistice Day until the memorial outside St Denys' was erected.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required