Memorial Chapel of St George (WW1 & WW2)

Submit a new image

Reference WMO180601

Address:

St John the Evangelist in Spitalgate

Station Road East

Grantham

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Chapel/church
Materials:
  • Timber Oak
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: This is a complex memorial, covering as it does the periods of the First and Second World Wars and including Rolls of Honour and lists of those who had lost their lives. See the main photograph for an impression. St George's Chapel, in the S Transept, was dedicated by the Bishop of Grantham (Dr Geoffrey Hines) on 1 Nov 1920 (All Saints' Day) with a Guard of Honour found by 4 Bn Lincolnshire Regiment commanded by Capt EJ Grinling DSO. The construction work was carried out by Bowman's of Stamford with the names of the 127 Fallen being inscribed on panels either side of the Altar. The Roll of Honour, in a beautiful vellum book, runs to 823 names. Other memorials were added later, notably the Roll of Honour for WW2 and a memorial to Sgt Dennis Winch RAF who was killed in action on 12 Jan 1945 aged 20 yrs. See comments for further information.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required