Arpley Cannons

Submit a new image

Reference WMO187900

Address:

Queen's Gardens

Palmyra Square

Warrington

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Type: Non freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Materials:
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • Crimean War (1853-1856)
About the memorial: The stone tablets and information plaque are what remain of the original memorial. Orginally two Russian cannons were placed outside Arpley Station (demolished in 1968). The Guns themselves were removed for scrap for the War effort on the 22nd June 1940. The stone tablets were later moved to Victoria Park on demolition of the station, they remained there forgotten, until they were rescued in 2004 and situated in Queen's Gardens to mark the 150th anniversary of the Allied invasion of Sebastopol in 1854
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

These Russian Guns captured on the 9th Day of Sept A.D. 1855 by the victorious arms of her Majesty and her allies in the fortress of Sebastopol, were presented to the Mayor and corporation of the Borough of Warrington by Her Majesty's Government, as a memorial to the sufferings and the triumphs of the British Army in the Crimea

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required