On original site
Inside a building - public/private
Inscribed on a plaque
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
The tablet is fixed on the north interior wall of the church and is of the dimensions 2.32m x 975cm x 6.5cm. It is composed of a polished black and white marble wall slab, on which is fixed a red alabaster moulded and polished surround, inlaid with gold and red mosaic of a neat design. The centre panel is of white statuary marble, on which is inscribed in plain block lettering the dedication inscription and 78 names of those parishioners who fell in the war; Navy, Army, and Mercantile Marine.
The memorial was unveiled 21 April 1921 by the Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man, Sir William Fry, accompanied by Lady Fry and Mr Leigh Goldie-Taubman, H.K. It was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Mann. The clergy and ministers present were the Lord Bishop, Rev Canon Leece , R.D. (Vicar), Rev Wm. R. Cannell (curate) who carried the Pastoral Staff, Rev E. C. Botwood (curate), Rev Robt. Ferguson (a former curate of Rushen), Rev W. J. Hannam (Superintendent Wesleyan minister), Rev J. W. Haswell (Wesleyan) and the Rev John Graham (Superintendent Primitive minister).
The memorial was designed and sculpted by Mr T. H. Royston of Douglas.
The cost of the Tablet in the church and the Lichgate (No 190451), together with the alterations to the entrance of the Churchyard, was approximately £400.
Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee.
Isle of Man National Inventory of War Memorials: IOM_NIWM_RUS_00001_2
Edit memorial details