On original site
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The Freemasons Hall on Great Queen Street was constructed as a memorial to Freemasons who lost their lives during the First World War. The hall is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England and was constructed between 1927 - 1932 in an Art Deco style.
The design of the building was chosen as part of an architectural competition which was judged by a committee chaired by notable war memorial architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. Designed by H V Ashley and Winton Newman the building is constructed with a steel frame and faced with Portland Stone and is Grade II* listed.
The Freemasons Hall contains principal halls, meeting rooms, a library and a reading room as well as the Grand Temple. The building also contains a memorial shrine with a list of names for those who lost their lives which can be found at www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/182034.
Edit memorial details