Combe Down War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO196212

Address:

Firs Field

The Avenue

Combe Down

Bath

BA2 5EH

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Latin cross
Materials:
  • Metal Bronze
  • Stone Limestone
Lettering: Raised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: A Latin cross on a curved top plinth holding bronze plaques on each of the four faces of the plinth commemorating the WW1 fallen. This culminates in a two-tiered foot on a 3-stepped base, with a further four bronze plaques commemorating the WW2 fallen. The whole set in a gravel enclosure and surrounded by iron railings. The memorial was unveiled on 28 May 1921. Huge crowds turned out to watch the ceremony, with village groups such as the Girl Guides processing to Firs Field along The Avenue, together with the Choir and the clergy. Revd. Sweetapple dedicated the memorial, which was unveiled by Mrs Cannan. The Bath Chronicle carried a full page of photographs of the event. At this time the memorial was made entirely of limestone with the names incised directly into the stone. By the spring of 1924 the names were becoming badly obliterated by weather. The Parish Council applied to the Minister for Health for £30 to replace the names with bronze plaques, which were made by Johnson Bros of London. It is probably during this transfer and re-ordering of names that one or two errors in names occurred.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details
Report this condition update
View more details
Report this comment

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required