On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
On 2 December 1943 10½-acre plot of land at Rocky Road was officially opened as the Lisnabreeny American Military Cemetery. Between 23 May and 1 June 1944, all of the 41 bodies previously interred in the City Cemetery were exhumed and re-interred at Lisnabreeny. By the end of the war a total of 148 American servicemen were buried here, the majority being Army Air Force but including US Army and US Navy personnel too. The cemetery was accessed via a red-brick archway with iron gates, which still remain. The was maintained until 1948 when the bodies were repatriated or transferred to the permanent American War Cemetery in Cambridge. A new memorial stone within a garden was unveiled in 2013.
Edit memorial details