On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
A granite Celtic cross on a small plinth - total height 8 - 9 feet. There is a sword motive in the cross and an inscription on the plinth. The memorial is in the graveyard of a redundant Church of England parish Church - St John - a Grade II listed building built in 1833. The church has been sold to a Christian group but has been empty for around ten years with no sign of activity. There was planning permission for converting the church into living accommodation in 2006 but nothing came of this. Whilst the memorial is in reasonable condition at present the future of the building and land is subject to some doubt.
WMT are corresponding with the Council about this. This is on the Council's radar, but since the auction the Council have not been contacted about the project by the new owner or any other groups. Any updates would be welcome.
Edit memorial details