Bowness on Windermere War Memorial Chapel

Submit a new image

Reference WMO203756

Address:

The Parish Church of St Martin

Lake Road

Bowness on Windermere

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Chapel/church
Materials:
  • Timber Timber (any)
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The Memorial Chapel was created out of the old vestry and dedicated in 1922. Sir William Forwood, a Liverpool benefactor, led the parishioners in raising the money for the chapel and its fittings as a memorial to those 71 men of the parish who gave their lives in the 1914-18 war and as a thanksgiving for those who returned.More recently, memorial red and green altar superfrontals were given to mark the Millennium. The green one was the gift of the Windermere Branch of the Royal British Legion, commemorating those who gave their lives in the wars of the 20th century and with a design based on the familiar Flanders poppies flanking a dove of peace. @St Martin's Church website The church is Grade 1 listed so the chapel will be covered by the listing.
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Curtilage

1332562

Information Required

Information Required