On original site
Inside a building - public/private
- Other Fabric
- Stone Stone (any)
- Timber Timber (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
The Royal Irish Fusiliers Chapel was dedicated on St Patricks Day 1950 in memory of all ranks of the Regiment and of the affiliated Militia Regiments of the Counties of Armagh, Cavan and Monaghan who were killed in two world wars.
The 87th and 89th Regiments of Foot were raised in 1773 for overseas at a time of great national danger. They rendered distinguished service in many parts of the world throughout their long history both in peace and war. Later three Regiments were braised 1793, they were the Militia Regiments of Armagh, Cavan and Monaghan and they were raised for home service to defend their country and they all rendered valuable service.
For the first 90 years of their existence these five regiments were separate entities, in 1881 they were linked together to form the Royal Irish Fusiliers with the Regimental Depot in Armagh.
Edit memorial details