Didsbury War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO214730

Address:

Didsbury Library

Wilmslow Road

Didsbury

Manchester

M20 2DN

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Pillar/column
Materials:
  • Metal Bronze
  • Stone Portland stone
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The Memorial was unveiled on 4th July 1921 by Lord Derby to honour those who died in the First World War. The construction of the war memorial was organised by a local committee chaired by Dr George Edward Crowe. The dedication of the war memorial was carried out by Reverend Cecil Charles Ellis and the names were read by John Thomas Seale. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added later on a plaque on the base. The Memorial was listed in 1994. Historic England listing entry - The Portland stone memorial is located on Wilmslow Road, opposite the Rhodes Memorial Clock Tower (Grade II) and in front of Didsbury Public Library (Grade II). Enclosed within a small, railed, garden, the memorial stands at the end of a short paved path, flanked by two small lawns. The three-stepped stone base is surmounted by a tall, two-stage plinth, square on plan, dying back via offsets to a pedestal bearing the shaft, topped by a small cross fleury. The upper stage of the plinth bears black, rectangular, metal plaques on each side, on which the names of the fallen are inscribed in white lettering. The pedestal is decorated with carved wreaths and coats of arms, while tall flambeaux are carved in low relief on each side of the cross shaft.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads DIDSBURY/ WAR MEMORIAL/ 1914-1919/ TO THE MEMORY OF THE/ SACRED DEAD OF THIS/ VILLAGE, WHO HAVING LEFT/ ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO/ THEM, ENDURED HARDSHIPS,/ FACED DANGERS AND FINALLY/ PAID THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN DEFENCE OF KING/ AND COUNTRY./ "LET THEIR NAMES BE EVER/ REMEMBERED WITH GRATITUDE”/ “MAY THEIR SOULS REST/ IN PEACE." The Second World War dedication is incised into the stone of the lower stage below, reading IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939 – 1945. The First World War names are listed on three metal plaques on the remaining three sides of the plinth, with the Second World War names on a metal plaque to the lower stage.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Grade II (England)

1270517

Information Required

Information Required