On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
It was originally proposed that the regimental memorial should be sited close to its barracks in Bullingdon Green but it was not possible to acquire a suitable site. Instead, it was built on land donated by Christchurch College on Rose Hill. The location was specifically chosen so that the memorial could be seen against the sky. The memorial cost £878 10s and was unveiled on 11 November 1923 by the regiment’s colonel Major-General Sir John Hanbury-Williams GCVO, KCB, CMG. An additional inscription was added after the Second World War.
Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.
The memorial, on the east side of Rose Hill at its junction with Church Cowley Road, is an obelisk with the regimental badge carved in relief on two faces. A description from the time (perhaps by Lutyens) describes an ‘obelisk on a moulded pedestal with a plain double sur-base, rising centrally upon a surround of three steps; the first and third being 2ft 6in wide, twice the width of the second step and covering an area each way of 16ft 10¼ in each way. Total height 28ft 11in.’
Edit memorial details