Blagdon

Submit a new image

Reference WMO221534

Address:

Church of St Andrew

Blagdon, Somerset

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Stained glass window
Materials:
  • Glass Stained Glass
Lettering: Other
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Blagdon's war memorial chapel is inside the Church of St Andrew. The main components are two stained glass windows, part of a series in the church designed and made by James Powell & Sons at the Whitefriars Glassworks in London. The central panel of the larger of the two windows features Christ in Glory, with a predella of the risen Christ appearing to St Mary Magdalene. On the left-hand side is the Blessed Virgin Mary with the crown of thorns; on the right St John the Evangelist, with the familiar text below: 'Greater love hath no man than this.' The smaller window contains images of King Alfred, St George, St Joan of Arc, and King Edmund the Martyr. There is also a plaque (an illuminated manuscript?) containing the names of those that died in the First World War, including village inhabitants, the former attendees of Blagdon and Charterhouse schools, and the families of those that worshipped at St Andrew's, Blagdon and St Hugh's, Charterhouse-on-Mendip.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required