Douglas Head

Submit a new image

Reference WMO222021

Address:

Fort Anne Road

Douglas

Isle of Man

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Latin cross
Materials:
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Overlooking Douglas at the point which is reputedly the last piece of land visible when leaving the island. The memorial is a rough granite cross, located within enclosed iron railings on Douglas Head, facing towards Douglas Bay, above Marine Drive. The 1935-1945 inscription was added later using a separate tablet of Manx slate. The momument was a gift from Mr John Leigh Goldie-Taubman of the Nunnery, Douglas. It was unveiled on 11 November 1921 and dedicated by Rev. H.S. Taggart, M.A., Vicar of St. Matthew's Church, Douglas. Isle of Man National Inventory of War Memorials: IOM_NIWM_DOU_00015
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

'To the chivalry / of the men of this Island / and all men of this Island / and all who died for us / a token / of profound admiration / and deep gratitute. / These leave a notable example to such as / be young to die willingly and courageously / MACC. II. V1. 28.' Inscription on stone tablet set into the ground, in front of cross reads as follows: 'The Great War / 1914 - 1918 / 1939 - 1945.' -

None

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required