Dulwich Old College WW1

Submit a new image

Reference WMO247677

Address:

Dulwich College

College Road

Dulwich

London

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Other cross
Materials:
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: GV II First World War memorial, designed by William Douglas Caröe. The War Memorial, of Hoptonwood Stone, comprises a diamond entablature featuring Christ the King (on both the northern and southern sides), on a tall tapering shaft raised on a square pedestal and stepped octagonal four-tier plinth. The square pedestal has panel motifs on each side: those to the east and west are floral in design, whereas the southern one, facing the door of the chapel, is designed as a two-pane trefoil-headed window, with decorated pediment. The panel to the north illustrates the College Shield (part of the Coat of Arms - a shield with a chevron (bent bar) dividing three cinquefoils gules (red five pointed stars) with 'DETUR GLORIA / SOLI DEO', 'Let glory be given to God alone' the College Motto, inscribed above it. The bottom three tiers of the plinth are undecorated. However, the top tier is inscribed with dedicatory lines. Encircling the top of the plinth, starting at the north-west corner, with raised letters, the inscription reads: 'IN HONOUR OF THE MEN / OF THIS FOUNDATION WHO / SERVED IN THE GREAT / WAR 1914-1919 AND IN / SOLEMN REMEMBRANCE / OF THOSE WHO DIED FOR / LIBERTY AND JUSTICE TO / THE GLORY OF GOD'. Below the inscription is a band of square floral and geometric motifs. The War Memorial has a visual and contextual relationship with Dulwich Old College (Grade II) and the entrance gates and piers of Dulwich Old College (Grade II). Dulwich College was founded by Edward Alleyn in 1619. The original college buildings at Dulwich Old College date from the C17, although they were extensively remodelled in the C19; in 1857 the old foundation was reformed, and new buildings were erected for the school approximately half a mile to the south by the younger Charles Barry in 1866-70. The war memorial in the forecourt of the Old Dulwich College was designed by William Douglas Caröe (1857-1938) and dedicated to the memory of 'Old Alleynians' and 'Alleyn Old Boys' who fell in the First World War. It dates from 1921. In addition, a memorial in the form of oak panelling by Mr Lawrence Turner and inscribed with the names of The Fallen was erected in 1920 on the south wall of Christ's Chapel (listed as part of Dulwich Old College at Grade II) beneath the gallery. There is a separate war memorial at the new Dulwich College buildings.
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Grade II (England)

1393811

Information Required

Information Required