On original site
Inside a building - public/private
- Metal Bronze
- Stone Marble
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The memorial consists of the restored bells and a memorial tablet.
The tablet was described in the Devon and Exeter Gazette, 4 December 1922, p. 5:
'The memorial consists of a polished white marble tablet on a dark polished marble background. At the top is a laurel wreath in bronze, with a white cross on a green mosaic background in the centre. The inscription reads: 'To the Glory of God and in ever loving and grateful remembrance of the men of St. Petrock's and St. Kerrian's who gave their lives for right and freedom in the Great War, 1914-18. This tablet was erected and our ancient bells restored.''
The memorial tablet was designed and made by Messrs. J. Wippell and Co. of Exeter and unveiled on the 3rd December 1922 by the Mayor of Exeter (Mr. P. F. Rowsell).
St Petrock's has a ring of six bells, the heaviest of which is 5 cwt. They are hung in oak frames dating from 1878. All of the bells date from the eighteenth century or earlier; the oldest being cast by John Danyell in ca. 1460.
Edit memorial details