Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
From Historic England's National Heritage List: 'The memorial was unveiled on 30 April 1921 by Major General Sir Percy Wilkinson, and dedicated by the Rural Dean, Reverend CE Little. It was sculpted by R Whitehouse of Newcastle and paid for through a memorial fund, and commemorates 75 servicemen and one Friends’ Ambulance Unit volunteer, Walter Messer, who died in the First World War. The Friends’ Ambulance Unit, chiefly staffed by registered conscientious objectors, was a voluntary ambulance service founded by members of the Religious Society of Friends (the Quakers). The Unit provided more than 1,000 men in the First World War and also operated between 1939 and 1959. Messer, a Quaker whose father was a leading local medical officer, died in France driving his ambulance whilst a German air attack was underway. The memorial stands at the southern side of Lemington Cemetery close to the path. In Glencoe granite, the circa 5m tall monument takes the form of a Celtic cross rising from a substantial tapering pedestal. The pedestal stands on a two-stage base. The front face of the wheel-head and upper part of the cross shaft are decorated with carved interlace patterns.'
Edit memorial details