Birstall (Leics) War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO250623

Address:

St James the Great Church

Front Street

Birstall (Leics)

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Wheel cross
Materials:
  • Metal Metal (any)
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The war memorial, designed by Howard Henry Thomson and unveiled in 1921, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: it has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the First and Second World Wars; * Architectural interest: the standard cross design has been enriched with cable moulding along the edges of the shaft and a carved sword of sacrifice on the east side; * Group value: it has strong group value with the Grade II listed Church of St James the Great. History The war memorial was dedicated by the Venerable Archdeacon F. B. MacNutt and unveiled by Major General Sir A. R. Hoskins on 5 March 1921. The names of the fallen from the Second World War were later added. The memorial was designed by Howard Henry Thomson (1865-1922). Little is known of him except that he practised in Leicester and won the competition with Stockdale Harrison for Usher Hall, Edinburgh, c1910. Thomson does not have any listed buildings to his name. c Historic England listing entry The church itself is more accurately in Church Hill but the memorial is at the churchyard entrance onto Front Street
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Grade II (England)

1410088

Information Required

Information Required