On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The plaque commemorating those from the congregation who served in the First World War was removed from St Andrews Erskine Church in Dunfermline about 20 years ago when the congregation moved out, and has been in storage at the premises of the Cooperative Funeral Care Service in Dewar Rd, Dunfermline, ever since. St Andrew's Church united with Erskine Church in 1974.
The plaque is of copper with an oak frame, measuring about 800mm by 500mm, recording about 160 names of those who served in the Great War. The thin sheet of copper has been worked from the reverse in the repousse technique, and is physically in good condition, but the surface is soiled, tarnished to a dull greenish-brown colour, and shows a central area of green corrosion products, likely to have been caused by water falling onto the plaque at some time since its removal from the church. The thin copper sheet is backed by plywood and is supported by an oak frame, but the frame has fallen apart to a large extent due to damp conditions in storage, and the wood is no longer in excellent condition
Edit memorial details