On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Inscribed on a plaque
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
War memorial. C14 and c.1919. Ashlar. 2 octagonal steps, to a C14 square base rising via stop chamfers to an octagon in which is set the tapering octagonal C20 shaft bearing on the west side a carving of a Bishop in an elaborate cusped canopy, supported by a stag head and with soldiers to the side panels. The Crucifixus has an ogee crocketed gablette.
c Historic England listing entry
Erected in the churchyard between gate and church door, Medieval Churchyard cross circa 14th Century. Was restored in c.1919. as a war memorial in memory of Captain Thomas Carew Trollope Bart. of the 1/1 Lincolnshire Yeomanry. The cross comprises 2 octagonal steps surmounted by a square block, carved so the top becomes octagonal. On this stands a pillar with a square base and tapering upwards to become octagonal. This is topped by a platform bearing the Calvary Cross. Estimated height 4640mm, 3210mm wide by 3160mm deep. The figure of Christ is carved on the front of the cross and on the back is a figure of Mary, wearing a crown, and carrying a young child. On the column is carved a Bishop with a deer's head (possibly St Giles) flanked in smaller niches by a soldier and a knight.
Inscription: There is no inscription on the memorial, but a plaque inside the church refers to the churchyard cross: To the beloved memory of Thomas Carew TROLLOPE, Bart. 3rd Baron Kesteven - Captain of Canwick Crowcombe & Carew. Born 1st May 1891 And died 5th November 1915. In the French military hospital, Oran Algiers, from wounds received during the shelling of the transport Mercian by a German submarine, in the Mediterranean on 3rd November. The cross in the churchyard is erected by his mother and sister, and this memorial by his Aunt Geraldine Elenor MOORE. For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory. "Audio Sed Taceo"
c Lincs to the Past wbsite
Edit memorial details