On subsequent site(s)
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Inscribed on a plaque
About the memorial:
Crimean War Memorial Pump on the corner of Silver Street, Thorne Market Place.
DESCRIPTION: Crimean War Memorial Pump of 1856 in cast iron. It has a moulded, circular trough set at the foot of a Doric column. It has spouts above the trough and to the left near the top. The original plaque and cranked handle with linkages has been removed. The column has 12-sided bands beneath the base and capital. It is set on top of a roughly triangular stone and concrete modern structure, approximately two feet high. This platform is not of special interest.
HISTORY: Erected as a memorial to the fallen of the Crimean War. It was formerly situated at The Green, and was listed at this site on the 24 November 1966. It was subsequently relocated approximately 10m to the east of the north west entrance to the Memorial Park in Thorne. The list entry was amended to reflect this move on 29 September 1987. Its original form and former plaque details can be seen on the matching pump which still remains within the Memorial Park (also listed at Grade II). Listed Building Consent was granted on 21 March 2005 to relocate the pump to the Market Place.
c Historic England listing entry
CONTEXT: This pump is of a similar design to the Crimean War Memorial Pump located in Thorne Memorial Park (WMO #251432, NHLE #1151567). Both pumps are documented together in the Imperial War Museum's War Memorial Register (#28052). A Google Streetview of the memorial in its setting can be found in the Links.
Edit memorial details