Purton Remount Depot

Submit a new image

Reference WMO251485

Address:

The Pear Tree Hotel

Church End

Purton

SN5 4ED

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Other sculpture
Materials:
  • Metal Metal (any)
Lettering: Raised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The Purton Remount Depot Memorial was unveiled on the 8th April 2017. It commemorates the work done in the fields opposite the Memorial location by the entirely civilian workforce (on behalf of the War Office) led by Mr William Robson & his sons between 1915-18 as well as the horses & mules that passed through the Depot. What started as a Remount Depot soon became a specialist "Breakers yard" for horses & mules from across the Southern Command. Often dangerous animals were transported to the Depot after direction from the D.A.D.R in Salisbury. North American imports were also "put at grass" in 1917. The Director of Remounts Brigadier general Charles Bridge visited the site himself commenting on the success of the work being carried out.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Purton Remount Depot. During the Great War a Remount Depot was established in the fields opposite this spot. From 1915 to 1918 William Robson with his Sons Herbert & Basil ran the entirely civilian staffed establishment. They retrained problematic horses & mules from across the Southern Area Command & beyond.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required